Harvard “One Ring” Unboxing

I recieved my Harvard Class Ring a few days ago and wanted to share some of the photos.  The ring was shipped from Balfour in a nondescript DHL package along with a receipt.

It comes in a nice wood (lacquered?) box that is common for rings of this type.

The extension crest is on one side.

And Johnston Gate is on the other.

The Harvard Veritas crest is on the top.

Overall, a very nice ring. I purchased the 14K “large” ring with the antique finish.  There is also an engraving on the inside (which I won’t publish).

I was unsure about purchasing the ring.  I’m not into jewelry much and I don’t wear other rings but I decided that it was worth the cost to have a ring I could wear when I wanted to instead of wishing I had one later down the road.

I’m pretty happy about it.

UPDATE:  Here’s a new pic with the ring on my finger:

One Ring on Finger

One Ring on Finger

This entry was posted in blog and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Harvard “One Ring” Unboxing

1. Doug says:

Your ring looks great! I wish you had a picture of it with your hand or a quarter or something else that could give some indication of size, because as it is it looks pretty huge.

2. Victor Lustig says:

How did you get a ring when you are not really a harvard student?

3. richard says:

I am a Harvard student.

4. Iymarie says:

I resent that remark! That Extension School students are not “real” students of Harvard. That is an ignorant and stupid remark. The school has been around since Harvard has been, and thousands of students have earned a Harvard degree through their program. I am a prospective student of the Extension School and congratulate Richard on his achievement. Beautiful ring and well earned. I hope to have one soon myself.

5. Joe says:

“The school has been around since Harvard has been”

The Extension School was founded in 1910.

6. Tommy Ho says:

Ringware’s harvard rings are so much better. You can actually get your final club and House logo or anything you want on it–way cooler than the HSA ring. Just ask the Dance team!

7. Mike says:

“The Extension School was founded in 1910.”

It was founded in 1909. For reference, the Business School was founded in 1908.

Not to feed the trolls…

8. Debian Linux User says:

Congratulations on the credential and ring!

9. Sam says:

The thrill of declaring your graduation, manifested in the format of a ritualistic receiving and picture recording of a fraternity ring. My dear fellow, congratiolations from the heart on your graduation, and a tap on the back for a job well done. Your measure of success is simple: How much money are you going to make FOR YOUR EMPLOYER, not for your self. Good luck, or God bless, depends where your faith is.

10. Douglas says:

Great job in completing your education Richard. I didn’t order a ring when I graduated from the Med school, way to many other things to do. Now, I will. I love the style and finish. Best of luck my fellow alum.

11. Ryan Patrick says:

Richard, sincere congratulations on a job well done. For people like Victor (assuming he is a Harvard College student and not some online troll), HES is a college at the University just as much as any of the other twelve. In fact, if I remember correctly numerous professors have pointed out that the HES students often outperform their Harvard College counterparts in classes that are mirror images of one another. Is that really how your parent’s raised you? To denigrate the accomplishments of others (and people that you have never met, no less)? You may attend Harvard, but you still have a lot to learn.
    Ok, I’m off my soapbox. Again, congratulations on your graduation, Richard.

12. Marc says:

Congrats my fellow alum!

Is this the antique or natural finish?

13. richard says:

It’s the antique finish.

14. moe says:

Richard
    I know this posting was a while ago

great looking ring
    what exact style and size is that?
    I’d like to order one

15. TATUM says:

Hi… is this the large men’s HSA ring or the women’s?
    And does anyone else have ANY advice or comments regarding balfour vs ringware? I lost my original class ring, and as a Harvard graduate, I want a ring that ONLY actual Harvard graduates are able to obtain…. does anyone know the bottom line on this issue?? Thanks!

16. richard says:

It’s the large men’s ring.

17. Dan says:

Very nice looking ring. Congratulations! I think I speak for the majority of graduate students at Harvard, who are far more mature than the college, when I say that HES degree students are a respected part of Harvard. From what I know of the Extension School, high grades in Harvard courses are required before even being considered for the degree. Perhaps some are ignorant of this fact and confuse the degree students with the open enrollment students, which vary in quality. In any case, way to go! You deserve to be proud.

18. Daniel says:

Congratulations on a job well done. As a fellow alum ’92 from Harvard College I can attest to the hard working students who actually graduate from HES. Only 1% of students who enroll at HES actually earn a degree. Kudos. Nice ring!

19. Bullneck says:

If you Google the name “Victor Lustig” the results are kind of interesting.

I graduated from the University of Texas in 1983 – the 100th anniversary year*. It didn’t seem like much at time but over time it’s been kind of a special thing.

Good luck to you.

* Yeah . . . I know, 1636 and all — 100 years is nothing.

20. Shawn H O'Day says:

Hello all, I too am an alum. Anyway, I’ve got two antique wrought iron Harvard gate toppers…I’ve been carrying these things with me all over the world, moving every couple years…and just wondering if it’s really worth it (we cleaned out the garage this past weekend).

I’ve had these for years and still wondering how much they’re worth? I suspect by the discoloration, they’re at least a 100 years old. The wrought iron is slightly weathered and they are very heavy. I suspect they must be worth something as they’re original and are really a one of a kind item. Web-link below is the Harvard Yard gate/fence history. Anyone got any contacts to getting these things actually appraised.

21. Louis McFeer says:

I have seen Balfour’s website but I can not find the option “Johnston Gate” on one side. How did you choose the option?
    I graduated in 1998 and have not found a ring so beautiful…

22. richard says:

Google “Harvard one ring.”

23. Panos says:

Hey Richard. I graduated from the Extension School in 1996.
    That’s a great ring. Thanks for sharing. I had a ring which i lost, so i’m thinking of ordering one. However, as our fellow alumni above says, i cant find the “Johnston Gate” option in the Balfour website. It gives a one side option to choose the school, so in our case the Extension School, and on the second side, it only gives the graduation year option. How did you manage to choose the Johnston Gate option? Googling “Harvard One Ring” wont help. It just takes us to the several links back here or to Harvard’s website or of course to Balfour. Thanks.

24. richard says:

@Panos:

I don’t think it’s an option. I think it’s part of the standard design. You should probably call and find out.

25. Doug says:

Yes, Richard is right, the Johnston Gate side comes standard with the ring.

26. S. Moy says:

It looks beautiful. I want to order one too. May I ask what is your finger size so I can
    figure out how a large ring would look on my hand (my ring size is 6 1/2). Thanks.

27. richard says:

Don’t go by the pictures. Go drive by a jeweler and get your finger measured. That’s the only way to get a good fit.

28. Doug says:

Richard, I think S. Moy is asking about the various ring size options (sm, med, lrg, etc), not the finger measurement, which s/he obviously already knows. You bought a large ring.

S. Moy, if your finger size is 6.5, a large ring will probably be too big for you. My finger is 8.5, and I found the medium ring to be the best size for me. It all comes down to personal taste, though, and how prominent you want your ring to be.

29. Chris says:

Richard…nice ring and congrads. I graduated HES in 84′ and lost my previous ring so I just ordered a new one. Can you tell me the weight of the ring, is it fairly significant? I ordered a large in 14k.

30. Daniel says:

That is a beautiful ring. I’m just trying to decide at the moment whether I can actually manage to do the ALM at the HES. Being based in England I would need to do most of it online (which I feel will be a lot harder than attending classes as the support networks will be limited) but I would make the most of my limited time on campus.

The more I look at it the more I realise I’m now finding it difficult to find reasons not to do it.

Oh and for the Trolls going on about how young the HES is compared to the University itself I’d like to point out that my old Secondary School (High School equivalent in England) is gearing up to celebrate 500 years in 2014.

Once again, really nice ring and congratulations on your graduation.

31. Minamu says:

You can get your Harvard House logo on the One Ring also. I think these are much nicer than Ringware because it’s a standard format for Harvard students, and you know what tradition means to Harvard folks. I just ordered one with my House on it, and can’t wait for it to come. Thanks for showing it; there aren’t enough pictures online.

Long ago, I had a Herff Jones Harvard class ring that is very much like the Ringware ones. It was a signet ring, and it was great, the black didn’t wear off over the years or anything. However, I left it in a bathroom after washing my hands one day, and lost it forever. That really hurt. However, now I am excited to get the One Ring. I love that it has Johnston Gate on it.